Once upon a time Doctors/Healers used to swear by the "Hippocratic Oath" and just for interest here is a translation of the original.
- I swear by Apollo, the healer, Asclepius, Hygieia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgment, the following Oath and agreement:
- To consider dear to me, as my parents, him who taught me this art; to live in common with him and, if necessary, to share my goods with him; To look upon his children as my own brothers, to teach them this art, without charging a fee; and that by my teaching, I will impart a knowledge of this art to my own sons, and to my teacher's sons, and to disciples bound by an indenture and oath according to the medical laws, and no others.
- I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.
- I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.
- But I will preserve the purity of my life and my arts.
- I will not cut for stone, even for patients in whom the disease is manifest; I will leave this operation to be performed by practitioners, specialists in this art.
- In every house where I come I will enter only for the good of my patients, keeping myself far from all intentional ill-doing and all seduction and especially from the pleasures of love with women or with men, be they free or slaves.
- All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal.
- If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practice my art, respected by all men and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my lot.
This approach can be summarised in the principle of "Primum Non Nocere" which means "Above all, Do no Harm"...
So what has changed between then and now? In those days there were no Pharmaceutical companies and if you'd like to know if this is a real problem - how about reading about what the Doctors themselves are now openly publishing. The following is an extraordinary "whistle blowing" book by a wonderful medical practitioner, Dr Ghislaine Lanctot -who was summarily removed from the Medical Register, not for malpractice but for revealing her findings of corruption and collusion at the highest levels. The book is available as a free ebook in pdf format and anyone anticipating interacting with the "Medical Machinery" in any way would greatlky benefit from understanding what it is they are dealing with. As always, do your own research and make up your OWN MIND.
and to make sure that we arent missing out on the UK scene...